Friday, February 18, 2011

How to Apply an Engineering Method to Solve Ethical Problems (1)

If you've read this blog for a while, you already know that I like to use my engineering background to point your attention to general concepts. Even if you're not an engineer, i am confident you will benefit from it.

Today, I will start a series of postings demonstrating the use of one of the well-known methods of engineering, which can be applied to solve ethical problems as well.

Introduction

Coming to Canada as an immigrant engineer educated and trained in another country, I was faced to many career choices. I could choose to join a small firm or a multinational organization, to be an entrepreneur or even to change the path of my career for another domain. Each of these opportunities operates in business environment that is totally different from the place I was coming from.

However, first of most I had to understand the new culture and the ethics of the business. Soon I understood that organizations have no more stable environment, and I had to answer many dilemmas.

A simple example is should I leave present employer and go for better salary and benefits. If I stay here, what is the guarantee that I will be offered continued employment?  The course on ethics in faculty didn't provide any yes or no answers to these questions. It helped me to understand my inside compass on guiding me to take appropriate decisions.

If we examine the current literature on ethics, the focus is on guidelines given by philosophers, academics and social critics. However, leaders, managers and engineers require more practical information about managing ethics.

"Managing ethics in the workplace holds tremendous benefit to all including engineers, managers, organization and society. This is particularly true today when it is critical to understand and manage highly diverse groups, with different values in the workplace and operating in globalized economic conditions." (1)

What is ethics?
(will follow)

References:
(1) "Complete Guide to Ethics Management: An Ethics Toolkit for Managers" - written by Carter McNamara, MBA, PhD, Authenticity Consulting, LLC., Copyright 1997-2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment