Thursday, July 26, 2012

5 Phrases that will get you fired by Robert Pagliarini

There are a handful of phrases I hear often that make me cringe. We're all told that we should never judge a book by its cover, but when I hear seemingly smart and successful people say these things, I can't help but think they need serious help. In a (unscientific) poll I conducted, it turns out I'm not alone. Nearly everyone admitted to reacting negatively to these job-killer phrases:


1. "There's nothing I can do." Really? You've exhausted every possible solution? This is similar to when my six-year-old says that she's looked everywhere for her shoes. When you say that there is nothing you can do, we learn two things about you: We know that you are a liar and that you are lazy. These are two qualities that are not going to help you get a raise or even keep your job. We know you are lying because there is always something you can do. And in the remote chance that there really isn't anything you can do, at least tell us everything you've done already, what you intend to do or who you are going to for help. Otherwise, we will assume you are lazy. Nobody with a spine has ever uttered these words. By using this phrase, it shows that you are weak, that you give up easily and that you lack all creativity and effectiveness. You don't get paid to be ineffective or lazy, so stop using this horrible phrase.


Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment